Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 16:31 — 37.8MB)
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Stitcher | TuneIn | | More
TaylorMade Golf’s newest irons, the P790, come once again with a ton of technology built into them. To learn more about them, we caught up with Matt Bovee, Senior Applications and Material Engineer for TaylorMade Golf.
Take a listen to our conversation with Matt by clicking the above media player, or wherever you catch your favorite podcasts!
Using data analytics we have repositioned the sweet spot on the P790 irons lower on the face to naturally capture more shots and provide performance where golfers need it most.
- SPEEDFOAM™ AIR – Newly engineered SpeedFoam™ Air is 69% lighter than its predecessor. It provides up to 3.5g of weight savings that has been redistributed to further optimize mass properties for better launch conditions. The new formulation delivers a sweet sound and solid feel while delivering a fast, flexible face.
- THIN-WALL CONSTRUCTION AND FORGED L-FACE – A new 8620 carbon steel construction makes the head thinner by up to 37.5% in strategic locations, allowing for a significantly lower CG placement. This new thin-walled design pairs with a responsive 1.5mm forged 4140 steel L-Face to promote supreme flexibility, fast ball speeds and distance while upholding a premium forged feel.
- THRU-SLOT SPEED POCKET™ – The Thru-Slot Speed Pocket™ provides increased face flexibility while preserving ball speed and distance on low face strikes.
- INTELLIGENT SWEET SPOT – The sweet spot size has been increased by up to 60% compared to to the original P790. Using data analytics we have repositioned the sweet spot lower on the face to naturally capture more shots and provide performance where golfers need it most.
- TUNGSTEN MASS FOR LOW CoG – Engineers developed new construction methods to thin out the body, allowing for up to 31g of tungsten to be placed in the toe. It creates a massive amount of stability and forgiveness wrapped in a players package.